İstanbul, the former Ottoman Capital
The view from Topkapı palace, with at right, near the waterfront on the Golden Horn, the Yeni Camii (New Mosque). It was originally named the Valide Sultan Mosque, dating from 1597 and partially reconstructed between 1660 and 1665. At left, on the hill, is the Süleymaniye Mosque. It was commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent and designed by the imperial architect Mimar Sinan. It was inaugurated in 1557 and is the second largest mosque in the city, the city's largest Ottoman-era mosque.