Eastern Turkey, former Armenian lands
The Çifte Minareli Madrase (Double Minaret Madrasah) in the centre of Sivas. According to the inscription above its door it was built in 1271 by the Ilkhanate Vizier of Şemseddin Cüveyn. It is in ruins, apart from the main façade with its brick and tile twin minarets. In the background the Kale Cami, the best preserved Ottoman mosque with a lead-covered dome, dating from 1580.