Limburg, in the south east of the Netherlands, has a complicated history. It was only partly governed by the counts of Limburg. The main part is the present day (Belgian) province of Limburg. The original arms of Limburg was a red lion on a silver shield, known since 1208 and this is reflected in the present flag. Yellow features in the arms of three counties, displayed on the present arms (Gulik, Horne and Gelre), and the blue stripe represents the River Maas (Meuse) that traverses the province from south to north.