Port Louis, the Capital of Mauritius
View of Champ de Mars, a thoroughbred horse race track in Port Louis. The Racecourse was inaugurated on 25 June 1812, by The Mauritius Turf Club (MTC) which was founded earlier in the same year by Sir Robert Townsend Farquhar, the first British Governor of Mauritius. It is the oldest horse-racing club in the Southern Hemisphere and the second oldest in the world. In the background Pieter Both, the second highest mountain of Mauritius, at 820 metres high.