Prishtina, Kosovo's Capital City
The 15th Century Xhamia e Mbretit (“Imperial mosque”), also known as the Fatih Mosque or Xhamia e Madhe (“Big Mosque”) in the old city of Prishtina. It was built by Sultan Mehmet II in 1460-61. Its cupola was then the biggest in the region. It was restored in 1682-83 under the reign of Sultan Mehmet IV. It was briefly converted into a Catholic church during Austrian occupation in 1689.