The Gazimestan monument
The Gazimestan monument, about 5 kilometres north of Prishtina, commemorating the Battle of Kosovo (1389), about 6-7 kilometres southeast of the actual battlefield, known as the Kosovo field. The name is derived from Arabic ghazi, meaning “hero” or “champion”, and Serbian mesto, meaning “place”. It is the place where Despot Stefan Lazarević, son of Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović who was killed in the battle, erected a marble pillar with an inscription commemorating the battle. In 1924 a small monument honouring the Serbian heroes at the battle was erected but during World War II, just after the Yugoslav capitulation, it was mined by Albanian fascist troops and completely destroyed. The Gazimestan monument was designed by Aleksandar Deroko, in the shape of a medieval tower, and built in 1953.