Peja, Kosovo's second largest City
The market square and the 15th Century Fatih Sultan Mehmet Hani's mosque or Bajrakli mosque in Peja. It was built in 1471 by Sultan Fatih Mehmet Hani and is an Ottoman-style single-domed mosque with the oldest and highest dome in the city. The mosque was burned down once during 1943 by Italian forces when the Bazaar of Peja was completely burned down, and during the 1999 War in Kosovo the internal part of the mosque was burned by Serbian militants, writings and wall decorations were destroyed and their repair of old writings was impossible. After the war the renovation of the mosque was carried out by an Italian donator and presently it is being restored by a Turkish consortium.