Imperial Rome, past glory
The Colonna di Traiano (Trajan's Column) was dedicated in 113 CE to commemorate the victories of the Emperor Trajan over the Dacians (in present-day Romania). It is decorated with a spiral series of reliefs depicting the battles between the two armies. The column, composed of 18 drums of luna marble, is almost 30 metres high. It was topped by a statue of Emperor Trajan; this was lost and replaced by one of St. Peter by Pope Sixtus V in 1587.