Australian Capital Territory, 1993
The Australian Capital Territory was founded as a Federal Territory on 1 January 1911 and attained self-government on 4 March 1989. Its flag, designed by Ivo Ostyn, was adopted on 25 March 1993. It uses Canberra's city colours of blue and gold; in the centre of the gold fly is a modified form of the arms of the City of Canberra, granted on 8 October 1928 by Royal Warrant. The shield on the arms displays a three-towered castle, the mace of the Australian Parliament, the sword of justice, the crown of St. Edward and the Rose of York. Supporting the shield are two swans, one blue (which is black on the official arms) and the other white, representing Aboriginal and European Australians. A blue bar at the hoist depicts the Southern Cross, in the same way as on the National Flag.