Piazza di San Pietro, St. Peter's Square, with in the foreground the statue of St. Paul, commissioned by Pope Pius IX to replace an older one. This statue of St. Paul was sculpted in 1838 by Adamo Tadolini and placed here during Easter in 1847. It is 5.55m in height, on a pedestal 4.91m high. In the background the Egyptian obelisk, brought to Rome by Emperor Caligula in 37 CE. St. Peter's crucifixion took place near this obelisk in the Circus of Nero; it is therefore revered as a “witness” to Peter's death.