Commewijne, Suriname's Plantation District
Fort Nieuw Amsterdam, a fort built from 1734 to 1747 at the confluence of the Suriname and Commewijne rivers. The original 5-point structure with cannons is still visible. It was taken by the English and, when the plantations were abandoned, the fort lost its function; between 1863 and 1967, the fort was used as a prison. In 1982 it became an open-air museum.