Photos of Western Lesotho

OzOutback
Images of the World
Flag of Lesotho

Western Lesotho

Mafeteng is the Camptown of Mafeteng district in the west of Lesotho. It is about 76 kilometres south of Maseru and has a population of around 61,000. The town is said to be named after an early visitor, Emile Roland, who was nicknamed "Lefeta," literally meaning "traveller" or "passer-by." Mafeteng translates to English as "The place of the passers-by".

Herding cattle
 
House in Mafeteng
 
Dancing the Mohobelo
 
Mohobelo dance
 
Boys of Ha Molomo
 
Dance in Mohale's Hoek
 
Women of Molomo's Hoek
 
View at Masala's
 
Blankets in Raleqheka
 
Raleqheka village
 
Morning in Raleqheka
 
Raleqheka
 
Fetching water
 
Milking a cow
 
Preparing breakfast
 
Raleqheka courtyard
 
Herdboys
 
Playing the Lesiba
 
Village of Matsieng
 
Church women
 
Beating a drum
 
Singing in church
 
 Jerusalem Apostolic Church
 
MaphutĎseng valley
 

Further south is Mohale's Hoek, the Camptown of the district with the same name with approximately 20,000 inhabitants. In 1795 the area was still inhabited by San (Bushmen) when the Baphuti, one of the Sotho speaking clans, occupied the area. After 1824 the area was inhabited by Mohale, the younger brother of the great chief Moshoeshoe, and the area took his name (with the Afrikaans "Hoek", meaning "corner").

To the east of Mafeteng, in Maseru District, is the village of Raleqheka, one of many quiet traditional villages and further north is Matsieng, the village of King Letsie III and his father, the late King Moshoeshoe II.

Herders play a traditional musical instrument called the "lesiba", a stringed and wind instrument consisting of a string and feather on which the musician blows, using his mouth as a sound box, like a jew's harp. Boys also may practice the "Mohobelo", a men's stomping dance that consists of synchronised movements and high kicks. And vigorous drumming and singing may be heard from the "Zionist" churches, a blend of Christianity and traditional African practices.