Photos of Botswana’s Central District, Botswana

OzOutback
Images of the World
Flag of Botswana

Botswana’s Central District

The main road in Botswana, in the east of the country, leads from its capital, Gaborone, to its second city of Francistown, 433 kilometres away. After almost 200 kilometres the town of Mahalapye is reached, in the Central District, the largest and most populous of the country, with an area of 142076 km². Mahalapye, located on the Tropic of Capricorn, now has about 41,000 inhabitants. After another 75 kilometres further north, Palapye is reached, a fast growing town with almost 37,000 inhabitants. The Bamangwato people, under Kgosi Khama III, are widely believed to be the first people to have settled near present-day Palapye. Their capital was the settlement of Phalatswe, also called Old Palapye, and was situated at the western end of the Tswapong Hills.

Between Francistown and Mahalapye
 
Neat houses and walls in Mahalapye
 
Woman polishing floor, Mahalapye
 
Landscape near Palapye
 
Between Martin's Drift and Palapye
 
Termite hill, near Palapye
 
Landscape near Palapye
 
Houses in Serowe
 
Huts and walled compound, Serowe
 
Panorama of Serowe
 
Traditional huts in Francistown
 
Traditional huts in Francistown
 
Road between Francistown and Maun
 
Landscape near Nata
 
New roof, Nata
 
Getting petrol, Nata
 
Landscape between Maun and Nata
 
Sunset between Maun and Nata
 

From Palapye it is 46 kilometres west to Serowe, the capital of the Central District and famed as Botswana's largest village with a population of around 60,000, the capital for the Bamangwato people in the early part of the 20th century and the birthplace of many of Botswana's Presidents. In 1903 the town was founded by Chief Khama III, the kgosi (meaning chief or king) of the Bamangwato people of Bechuanaland (now Botswana), who made his country a protectorate of Great Britain to ensure its survival against Boer and Ndebele encroachments. His grandson was Seretse Khama, who became the first president of Botswana.

Francistown, the second largest city in Botswana, now has over 100,000 inhabitants (and over 150,000 for its agglomeration), 90 kilometres from the border with Zimbabwe. It was founded in 1897, by the Bakalanga, a people related to Shona of nearby Zimbabwe, as a settlement near the Monarch gold mine and named after Daniel Francis, an English prospector from Liverpool. It is now an important city, a transport hub with agriculture and mining, producing principally cobalt, copper and nickel.

From Francistown an almost 490 kilometre long road leads west to Maun, on the Okavango Delta. After 190 kilometres it passes through Nata. a village of almost 4,200 people and adjacent to the Makgadikgadi Pan, a salt pan situated in the middle of the dry savanna of north-eastern Botswana, and one of the largest salt flats in the world.